How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, Book 1)

How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire - Kerrelyn Sparks ***3.5***

First of all, it is an interesting read that will have you glued to your seat until you finish it even though you know how it's going to end. Shanna is under witness protection program and works as a dentist in a night shift at a boring clinic. She loves her job but can't stand the sight of blood since she saw her friend die. Roman is a wealthy intelligent vampire who needs a dentist urgently to reinsert his fang in his mouth before he falls asleep. So he walks into her clinic and it just happens that he ends up saving her life from the attack of the Russian mafia. He takes her in his home and here the dance of love and rejection begins.

Now, what I really liked about this book are the Highlanders in their kilts and the way they speak and behave. They are awesome. And it's really easy to picture them as warriors even today. They have so much pride and honor in their history and in their blood that it simply makes sense and fits into place. Also, covens, it is not difficult to imagine their existence. Even though we live in this modern era it is not safe even for us and it most certainly wouldn't be safe for them to go around alone and unprotected. I like the fact that Kerrelyn left the old idea intact, that they can turn humans into vampires because when you read it you always imagine yourself there and it's nice to know you do have a choice in the end.

My major dislike is Shanna's behavior throughout the first half of the book. Her fear of blood seemed just so unrealistic that I rolled my eyes every time she mentioned it (and she did it a lot). And Roman's self-pitying and depressed behavior didn't sit so well either. Kerrelyn wasn't very innovative regarding vampire's habits and weaknesses. The sun and silver hurts them, they must sleep at night (they kinda drop dead without a pulse when the sun comes up and they just get up when it sets and their hearts just bolt back to work), they must take human blood to survive and a stake through their heart will do the job. They can also teleport and use mind control on humans. They are stronger and faster than us and they don't get ill, in general. I also hated the way Shanna was dressed but I know this has nothing to with the story it is just my personal taste, she had pink and orange clothes and that just seems way too bright for me. Mental sex also just seems wrong, plain simply wrong...

All in all, this was a refreshing book and I hope it only gets better later in the series (a girl can only hope)!